"Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth." Colossians 3:2

Our journey toward a more focused, simplified, intentional life. A life refocused on the eternal instead of the temporary.

Friday, March 25, 2011

Setting the Ground Rules

It's 9:30 p.m. and I'm sitting in this dark room, patiently waiting for my children to fall asleep so that I can get some much-needed rest.  A week playing the role of single mom, and I'm physically, emotionally, and mentally exhausted.  The children are ready for their "Dada" to be home, and so am I. 

But as I sit here my mind doesn't stop.  I can't help but think back on how our week has gone...starting out well but with that slight downward tilt.  Until today, when we reached full speed going down that hill and all began to spin out of control.  And so I think...of things that might help our days go more smoothly.  Of things that I could change. 

Mama needs some ground rules...not for her kids, but for herself.  And, so, tonight I'm writing them....rules that will hopefully help us achieve a quieter, more peaceful, more efficient, and more fun home. 

And here they are:

Ground Rules for Mama

1.  I will shower and dress every morning before the kids are awake.
2.  The laptop will be shut off when the children awake and may not be turned back on until nap time.
3.  I will give hugs and kisses whenever they are asked for...No more, "I can't right now, I'm busy."  One should never be too busy for hugs and kisses.
4.  I will sit at the table and enjoy breakfast and lunch with my children instead of trying to work through them to get more done.
5.  I will set a timer for work time and do nothing but work during that time.  When the timer goes off, it is time to stop and do something fun with the kids.
6.  I will stop ("red light!", as I tell my kids) when I feel myself losing control.  I will control the tone and volume of my voice, and I will apologize to my kids when I break the rule.
7.  I will let go of perfection and allow things to be "good enough".
8.  I will slow down, take in, see, and give thanks for the gifts given here and now.

Do you set ground rules for yourself, do you think you need to?  If you do, how do you stay accountable?  I'd like to hear your thoughts, especially on the accountability part.  I'm going to share my rules with my kids and let them know that these are rules I need to follow and that they need to remind me if I am not following the rules...just like I remind them when they are not following the rules.  I think my kids will be better at keeping me accountable to my own rules than anyone else...at least I hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment