"Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth." Colossians 3:2

Our journey toward a more focused, simplified, intentional life. A life refocused on the eternal instead of the temporary.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Focus on Bedtime

It has become abundantly clear to me that my children need a more structured bedtime routine.  As much as I love a good plan, I must admit we tend to be a family of spontaneity more often than not.  We say bedtime is 8:00, but that usually means 8:30 or 9:00 and sometimes 10:00.  I've noticed in the past couple weeks my children are having a harder time settling down to get to sleep, and the late nights do not mean that they will sleep later in the morning.  I have early risers...6:30 for a 2, 3 and 5-year-old is too early, in my opinion.  Heck, 6:30 is sometimes too early for me!  They are tired, though they'd never admit it.

So, in an attempt to help my children fall asleep faster and get a better night's rest, I have come up with a structured bedtime routine and we will begin implementing it this evening.  Here is my plan:
  • 7:15-7:30 -- PJs on, teeth brushed, face and hands washed
  • 7:30-8:00 -- Everyone on couch for one last TV show or reading time.
  • 8:00-8:30 -- Kids to bed, say prayers, read bible story and one chapter from our current book
  • 8:30         -- Goodnight hugs and kisses, everyone goes to sleep
This is our starting point.  I know things may need to be modified along the way and some rules may need to be set, but I'm determined to make this work.  I desire for my kids to be well-rested and healthy, and I believe I need to teach them good bedtime rituals so that they can learn to settle themselves down and fall asleep on their own. 

Sounds easy enough, but I fear it will be a struggle as we begin.  With three active, strong-willed children I will need a lot of patience and persistence, I'm sure. 

What bedtime rituals do you have with your children?  What does your bedtime routine look like, or maybe you don't have one?  I'd love to hear your ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment